Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Mourning of my Church


   
After this morning's sermon.  Pastor Scott announced the dissolving of our Church, The Gathering Point Community Church.   I was in shock.  As the Pastor was speaking, I kept thinking in my head, this couldn't be true.  The words he was saying wasn't true.  But they were.  I cried uncontrollably.  These are people I looked forward to seeing each week. This is where I learned about having a relationship with Jesus, where my kids learned about Jesus and played, where I though Terry would come with me one day. This is where I was treated like family and felt like family. I am missing The Gathering Point already.

I started thinking back, thinking what I could have done differently to help the Church, that maybe if I had done what I was called to do, we wouldn't be here today listening to Pastor Scott talking about the ending of the Church. There were several times through out the year, I knew God was calling me, one way or another to do certain things in the Church.  I didn't listen. I wish I listened, I wish I would have acted.  The guilt I feel is overwhelming, the guilt of not listening to God and putting things off, the guilt of not helping my Church. I didn't listen to God, I kept putting things off "I'll do that later".  Well, later came, and there will be no other chance. 

I understand where the decision came from and why the decision was made. That it must have been a hard decision, a decision not made lightly. The Pastor has to look after his own family too.  I'm just sad it had to end this way. The GP is/was a great Church with really great people.  So, kind, so friendly.  They helped people in the Church and in the community. They helped me more than once and I am very grateful.  The GP wasn't stuffy and didn't matter what your wore, how your kids behaved or if you came in late, which I did a lot.  Many of times I came in with sweets and a ball cap and that was just fine.  My kids sometimes wouldn't stay in their seats they would walk around, and that was fine too.  No dirty looks, the Pastor would even smile at them.  It was my kind of Church.  We talked Bible, we talked Jesus, we talked about a relationship with Jesus. We were people gathered together to learn, worship, to fellowship.

Right now, I'm trying to remind myself, the people of the Church are still here. They are still my friends.  But it is hard.  I know Pastor Scott and Chrystal worked very hard and others in the Church as well.  I know sometimes they felt unappreciated, over worked, stressed, and unsure. But they always believed in God's plan.  And right now God is taking them in another direction.  How I wish he wasn't.

Pastor Scott and Chrystal, thank you for starting the Church.  Thank you for introducing me what a relationship with Jesus is all about.  Thank you for your counsel, your prayers, your insight, your being there.  You have help so many people, had an impact on lots of people, there are people out there better off today because you.  I'm one of them.

I don't think I will find another Church like the GP.  I had envisioned getting Baptized there, my children getting Baptized there. I envisioned my husband joining us for service for the first time at the GP.  Oh what a glorious day that would have been, as they all know the struggle.  I had envisioned my family, Terry included, entering our new Church Building at Winter time, we're all brushing the snow off our jackets.  The Church is lit with a warm glow.  Some people are already there, in sweaters. But it's not all about me is it? As we say at The GP, it's all about Jesus!

Now I'm at a standstill, I feel lost, still so much to learn.  I don't think I will find another Church like the GP.  I'm not ready to look.

Here are some things I have written about the GP:

One Sunday, a few months after seeing the ad for a a new local Bible based Church, I worked up the courage and I took my son and we went to Church in the fall of 2009. We were so welcomed! And we felt welcomed! The pastor and his wife came over to us chatted with and introduce us to the other Church members who all spoke to us. It felt so nice to be given such a greeting.
- Written in 2010

Then off to Church we went. The service was awesome and the kids had a great time in the Little Treasures program. I always leave refreshed.
- Mother's Day 2012

Sending Blessings to my Pastor and his family and my Church family.  I will miss seeing you all on Sunday Mornings.

It's the day next morning after I originally wrote this post. What a difference a day makes! As I am still a little sad I also feel  peace.  It was meant to happen, things will be ok, it will work out.

Jeremiah 29:11-14 (NIV1984)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity.[a] I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.

No comments:

Post a Comment