Friday, May 18, 2012

What I learned from TV

The TV show Medium is one of my favourite shows ever.  Mostly because of the wonderful strong relationship/marriage between the characters Allison and Joe.  And the kind of parents they were to their three girls.

 I had to add this picture.  Ri just loves her bike helmet.

In this one episode, Bridget the youngest daughter is obsessed with wearing a bike helmet. She wears it 24/7 to school, to bed.  Picture day is coming up, Bridget was to wear her bike helmet for picture day. Her dad Joe thinks this is silly and doesn't want Bridget to wear the helmet.  But her mom Allison has a different take on it and tries to explain it to Joe that this is who Bridget is, right now.

Joe: I would have thought, out of deference to me, out of some sort of consideration for the fact that we're all going to have to look at this for the next 50 years, that maybe, maybe you could stop indulging her eccentricities and take a stand! Except, I think you like it!

 Allison: Well, you know what, I do like it. I do like it, and you want to know why? Because those pictures are supposed to capture how they really look, who they really are, before they change, before they're gone. And today, who she really is is a little girl who's in love with the way that a red helmet looks on her head. And that's great. 'Cause that's who she is! Today!

Later in the show, Bridget shows her school photo to her mother, but as Bridget is showing the pictures she is not wearing the helmet. She has moved passed the helmet and on to something else, galoshes.

I kept this lesson with me.  
When J started dressing himself, he would 70% of the time put his shirt on backwards.  And you could tell because most of his shirts had pictures or writing on them.  I would tell him about his shirt being on backwards and J would reply "I like it that way." He went to stores, to preschool, everywhere with his shirt on backwards.  And I didn't stop him because that is who he was in the moment.  Now, it is very rare that J will put on his shirt backwards. 

I hold this memory of J close to my heart, whenever I think about it, I smile.  I think about how little he was, how cute he was being and how much he has grown. 

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen this show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my favourites. The show ended in 2011. Here's the summary I got from IMDb about the show.
      "Suburban mom Alison Dubois attempts to balance family life with solving mysteries using her special gift. The dead send her visions of their deaths or other crimes while she sleeps."

      Delete