Thursday, August 15, 2013

Standoff with a Five Year Old

For the most part I write about happy, cute things about the kids.  When I started to blog, I decided that I wanted to write more upbeat, happy post than not.  However, as everyone knows, it is always not happy, happy all the time. 

Personally, I have felt that sometimes I was the only one having a rough time putting my little one to bed or some other behaviour issue.  But it wasn't true.  For some reason, parents don't really talk about it, or should I say my friends don't really talk about it.  I remember reading a post status on facebook, something along the lines of "Exorcism must have been invented by parents of three year olds, who though there was no way their child could act that way all on their own." (I wish I could have remember who wrote it.)  After reading that, I thought, "Ok, I'm not alone, it is not only my child"


Keep Calm 
and 
Parent On


The Stand Off:
J hit Ri.  So, that is a time out.  I put a chair in Nanny's galley kitchen.  He had to sit there. I stood in the door way and set the timer on the microwave.  He didn't want to have a time out.  He stood up.  I told him I wasn't going to start the time out until he sat down.  J continued to tell me that I would get hungry because he wasn't going to sit and we would be here 'forever'. He banged the cupboard doors a few times, looking at me, waiting for me to react. I didn't.  Once he saw it wasn't working.  He just stood there.

This went on for a while.  Ri came to me and told me she had to pee.  I told her that was a big girl and that she could go to the washroom herself.  J really thought that I would leave and he would have his chance to run away.  Within a few minutes he sat down.  But he took off his sprint and threw it over my head.  I picked it up and handed it to him.  Once again, I told him I wasn't going to start the timer until he put it on.  

He sat there for a bit holding the splint.  And then somewhat of a miracle happened, he put on his splint.  I started the timer and he sat in his time out. 

It is not always easy being a parent. Especially when you compare your reality to a TV family or a blog family where everything seems easy and nice. And that is just what it is 'seems', everyone has challenges.  Your not alone.  You can do it!




No comments:

Post a Comment