Monday, November 16, 2015

My Birthday

It was my birthday last week.  I am 37 years old, which is kinda funny in a way because I thought I was already 37.  Early in the fall I was talking with another mom at Church about mom stuff, we were comparing ages of our kids.  She stated that she was 36, my reply was "I'm 36 too! No, no, I'm 37".  Last birthday must have been a blur with the new addition.

So, I'm 37.  Now what? When you are in your early 20s, late 30s seem so far away, but they are not really.  Throw in school, marriage, work and a couple of kids, late 30s are here before you know it. I am not sure if I am where I thought I would be in life.  In my teen years, I imagined a city life for myself, with wearing high heels daily. Later, that dream turned to marriage and having kids one day.  And here I am today, a wife and a sahm to three children.

 One thing with age, comes experience and growth.  Views change, opinions change (I now Love country music!), reactions change. Things that would upset me years ago, don't upset me now.  I can see things differently.  Sometimes, I'll read a blog post by a younger blogger and I'll remember feeling that same way as they are at the moment.  And then I'll think how it is different for me now.

My spiritual growth, however, hasn't always been growing with me.  I was stuck for a few years.  I wasn't growing spiritually. Sometimes (I hear) that happens. But I have been progressing.  My faith has help deal with situations I didn't know what to do with.

 Do I have regrets? I think we all do.  Sometimes it would be nice to have a time traveling delorean to go back and fix mistakes.  I asked my pastor wife about the decisions that we make, the outcome and how it all connects. She told me, "Think of it as this, you are on a boat.  The boat is on one path. But you can do many things on the boat while it is going in one direction:" She is in another part of the country now and I haven't seen her in a few years, but that story has always stuck with me.

Here's to 37........ Again


No comments:

Post a Comment