Friday, January 15, 2016

J's Birthday Cake

We celebrated J's birthday earlier this month.  He turned eight.  These eight years have gone by so quickly.  Seems like time speeds up with each year.  J is so awesome. When he smiles, my heart swells.  I love seeing him grow and learn.  I love hearing the things he has to say. He is so sweet to his sister and brother. And he loves to play sports.  I think if he could play sports all day, he would. I love him so much.

For the past couple of years, J wanted a hockey rink cake for his birthday.  I could never find hockey players to put on the cake. This year he wanted a hockey cake again.  And again I looked for hockey players, no such luck.  Then one evening, flipping thought the channels, the movie '13 Going on 30' was on television. I got inspired to use pictures of the kids as hockey players, like the doll house in the movie.

J's Birthday Cake

I looked through photos of the kids, looking for hockey pictures.  I has thrilled to find pictures of J in net taken from both ends of the rink.  Got the pictures developed, cut them out and used tape to stick them to popsicle sticks. 

The cake, is actually two cakes, side by side.  I made them from scratch, chocolate, gluten free. Terry decorated the cake and made the boards.  I cut out business logos from the flyers and taped them along the boards.  Not pictured above but added was a stand with pictures of the kids watching the game. 

J loved his cake.  He thought it was pretty cool. For J's birthday this year he played hockey in the morning and we went and saw Star Wars in the afternoon.  His supper choice, lasagna.


No comments:

Post a Comment